Use Class Guide by Occupa Commercial Property Consultants

Use Class Guide


Send A Quick Message

For your reference here is a general guide to permitted changes of use when negotiating the terms of your rental agreement.

How can we help?

For more information or to arrange a viewing leave a message and we’ll get back to you.

Use Classes Order Including 2005 Amendment

The Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Order 1987 is the principle order which has been subject to a number of subsequent amendments. Changes of use within a specific class do not require planning permission provided that the use subsists, the planning permission has been implemented and no restrictive condition is attached. The Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Amendment (England) Order 2005 introduced new A4 and A5 classes and placed motor car showrooms and night clubs in Sui Generis category.

General Permitted Development (Amendment) Order 2005

The permitted development rights shown in the final column do not require planning permission where all the criteria set out in the order are met and no restrictive conditions apply.

A1 Shops

A2 Financial & Professional Services

A3 Restaurants & Cafes

A4 Drinking Establishments

A5 Hot Food Takeaways

A.. Sui Generis

B1 Business

B2 General Industry

B8 Storage or Distribution

B.. Sui Generis

C1 Hotels

C2 Residential Institutions

C3 Dwelling Houses

C.. Sui Generis

D1 Non-residential Institutions

D2 Assembly & Leisure

D.. Sui Generis

Further Considerations

It should be noted that permitted changes of use identified above are ratchet changes. That is, changes cannot be made in reverse.

Various other permitted development rights exist for, inter alia, industrial and warehouse buildings, dwelling houses, agricultural buildings, schools, colleges, universities, hospitals and development by statutory undertakers.

The above is intended as a general guide only. Reference must be made in the final instance to the Town and Country Planning Act 1990, as amended the Use Classes (Amendment) Order 2005, and General Permitted Development (Amendment) Order 2005 and written confirmation obtained from the Local Planning Authority that no consent is required.